G-Suite Data Transfer
What you can copy
You can copy and transfer the following data from your school account to another Google Account:
- Email in Gmail (not contacts, chats, or tasks)
- Documents that you own in Google Drive (except files in the "Google Photos" section of Drive)
- Documents in My Drive
- Documents in your "Shared with me” folder (unless the document owner turns off downloads and copies for commenters and viewers)
The original files stay in your school account. Any changes you make to the copied files won't affect the originals.
A file in My Drive won't be copied if either of the following are true:
- You're a viewer, not an editor or owner.
- The owner has turned off download, print, and copy options for commenters and viewers.
Details about the copy process:
- The copy process usually happens within a few hours, but it can take up to a week.
- Copied files might appear in batches in your personal Google Account during the copy process.
- When your files are finished copying, you'll receive an email at your personal Gmail address.
- Each time you copy files from your school account, a new copy is created in your Google Account.
Create a new Google account
- If you haven't already, create a new Google Account or use existing personal account.
- Please note: To create a new Google account, you must use a personal device (i.e. not your Chromebook), and you must log out of the Chrome browser if you are currently logged in with your district account.
Prepare your files
- To copy content that other people have shared with you, add those files to My Drive.
- You can review files in your “Shared with me” folder.
Start the copy process
- On your school account, go to Transfer your content.
- Enter the email address of the Google Account where you want to copy your content.
- Select SEND CODE.
- On your personal Google Account, check your Gmail inbox for a confirmation email from Google. In the email, select Get confirmation code. A new tab will open with a code.
- On your school account, go back to the "Transfer your content" page. Enter the code, then choose Verify.
- Choose the content you'd like to copy, then select Start transfer.
If your files are too large or more data products needed, you can follow instructions for a manual download:
- Log into your Gmail.
- Click Download your data.
- Select data to include.
- Choose file Destination, Frequency and File type.
You can find additional information about the Data transfer.