Fall 2021 Saturday STEM Academy
Our DCL Fall STEM Academy provides 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th grade students with the opportunity to further develop their interests in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math in an integrative, educationally stimulating series of course offerings. Free tuition is being provided through the Carl D. Perkins Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act.
The fall session's theme will focus on Flight Technology while applying STEM Design Thinking strategies. Our program will explore a variety of problem-solving strategies that will incorporate multiple disciplines as students learn about flight. This program provides students with project-based activities that reinforce discovery, critical thinking, empathy, and collaboration.
Come join us as your middle schooler learns teamwork and problem-solving skills that increase their awareness of STEM and self-confidence!
This Fall we are continuing to offer a STEM Jr. Academy for 5th & 6th grade students as well!
The sessions will run for a total of 4 Saturdays (October 2nd, 9th,16th, 23rd) from 9:00am to 12:00pm.
For your convenience, registration will be available online. Please visit the link below to register your child for this inspirational program.
Flight Technology - Course Descriptions
- Bioanthropology – Discover and explore the study of flight via science as it pertains to birds and insects. Participants will learn about the ability of birds and insects to defy gravity and fly. We will look at the evolution of birds and comparative anatomy as well as the physiology of birds and reptiles. Students will analyze and closely examine, and study presented specimens via dissections!
- Pre-Engineering – Our future inventors and innovators will learn to design and create a plane out of balsa wood utilizing STEM Design Thinking. Students will experience the engineering design process (EDP); identify the need, research/fact-find, imagine and design multiple solutions, select the best solution, create, and build a prototype, test and evaluate, improve and redesign. Students will learn to implement the Design Thinking model as they build their plane.
- Computer Science – Enter the world of coding as you learn computer programming and the fundamentals of computer science via a hands-on problem solving. Participants will learn about programming via MIT App Inventor. Our 7th and 8th grade students will learn an introduction to Python. Our goal is to make coding fun and to show students that there are many fun opportunities in the CS field. You will learn how to implement the Design Thinking model as it applies to Computer Science.
All students will participate in a daily collaborative group problem solving challenge. Collaboration, creativity, and ingenuity will be an integral part of the experience as students learn to share ideas and learn from each other.
- To register for the Fall Saturday STEM Academy, please click here.
- Cost: Free tuition is being provided through the Carl D. Perkins Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act.
- Each class is limited to 20 students. Please select the correct grade level/course for your child.
- Open to NJ/Passaic County Residents (Students currently in grades 5-8)