The summer session’s theme will focus on Environmental Technology while applying STEM Design Thinking strategies. Our program will explore a variety of problem solving strategies that will incorporate multiple disciplines as students learn about environmental impact. This program provides students with project-based activities that reinforce discovery, critical thinking, empathy and collaboration.
Come join us as your middle schooler learns teamwork and problem-solving skills that increase their awareness of environmental concerns and self-confidence!
This Summer we are offering a STEM Jr. Academy for 5th & 6th grade students as well!
The session will run for a total of 5 days, starting July 12th through July 16th, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Please visit the link below to register your child for this inspirational program. For your convenience, registration and payment are offered online with a credit/debit card to guarantee your course selection and participation.
Environmental Technology - Course Descriptions
- Environmental and Life Sciences – Discover and explore the study of Environmental and Life Science. Participants will learn about living organisms, including biology, botany, zoology, microbiology and how resources are being impacted. Students will learn to apply the scientific method to address problems that impact our environment and our lives. You will learn how to implement the Design Thinking model as it applies to Environmental Science.
- Computer Science – Learn about the exciting world of coding as you learn computer programming and the fundamentals of Computer Science via a hands-on problem solving. Participants will learn about various programs including Greenfoot and MIT App Inventor. Our goal is to make coding fun and to show students that there are many job opportunities in the CS field. You will learn how to implement the Design Thinking model as it applies to Computer Science.
- Pre-Engineering – Dive into in learning about the Engineering Design Process as you design solutions to problems while using science, math, and technology to innovate. The culminating environmental technology project will be to design and build a child’s toy out of recycled materials. You will learn how to implement the Design Thinking model as it applies to Engineering.
- For information about registering for the Summer STEM Academy, please click here.
- Cost: Free tuition is being provided through the Carl D. Perkins Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act.
- Each class is limited to 20 students.
- Open to Passaic County Residents only entering grades 5-8
- Limited transportation will be provided.